The Walther Schücking Institute is Germany’s oldest university institute for public international law. Founded in 1914 as the Institut für Internationales Recht, the Institute received its current name in 1995 in honor of its former director, Walther Schücking, the first German judge at the Permanent Court of International Justice in The Hague.
In its almost 100 years of existence, the Walther Schücking Institute continues to make an important contribution to research and teaching in the fields of public international law, international organizations, European Union law as well as the theory of the State. The Institute is responsible for all teaching in the field of international law at the University of Kiel and also regularly hosts lecture series, conferences, visiting scholars and academic exchange programs. In addition to the German Yearbook of International Law published in English, the Institute also regularly publishes German-language volumes in its book series “Veröffentlichungen des Instituts für Internationales Recht”.
Its specialized library, considered one of Germany’s finest, contains more than 100,000 volumes, an extensive selection of international law journals and is also a UN depository library.